Sunday, September 4, 2016

Senatum Porterlusque Romanus: lucky7 Restores Rome, Chapter 1: Primogenita

Rome, 26th December 891

The warm Mediterranean air blew through Prince Konstantinos' hair as he stared out upon the city. "Basileus Konstantinos," he chided himself. "After all, the Empire will belong to me soon enough."
Konstantinos and his wife in 891. Artist unknown.
The Byzantine Empire and surrounding territory, ca AD 891.
 Courtesy of the Ecumenical archive
One of the eunuchs barged into his chamber-it was Theophilos. "My Emperor," he bowed before Konstantinos. "I bear grave news." The prince sighed. "My father has yet to wake up from the injury dealt to him in yesterday's skirmish?" Theophilos nodded, fearing some form of punishment, but his master simply sighed and turned again to face the balcony. Gesturing for the servant to join him, Konstantinos looked out once more onto the city.

"It looks, beautiful, doesn't it?" Konstantinos asked then, before the servant could answer "Of course it does. The Eternal City has weathered barbarian rule very well. Not since Justinian has an Emperor ruled this soil, but my father did. First him, and soon me." The prince now looked as though he were choking back tears. "And if it weren't for that damn heretic trying to take back what was not his, he might have been able to truly appreciate the glory of what we shall accomplish."

"Now now," Theophilos said, "It has only been a day. His Imperial Highness Basileios might yet wake."

Basil I in his last few weeks. Note the mask covering his infamous disfigurement.
"Father taught me never to trust in miracles. He won his power at the point of a sword so I wouldn't have to-" Konstantinos squinted off at the distance. "Are those...our troops? The Cataphractoi and the Varangians are out fighting the Papal forces, correct?"
"That they are, sir."
"It must be Captain Hysing." The prince chuckled to himself. "Come to check on my father and bring news of our victory over that thrice-damned Italian, of course. Theophilos, fetch that wine Hysing hates and tell him to meet me in my study."

The eunuch laughed nervously. "My Lord, it's not Captain Hysing."

"Then who is it?" The prince demanded.

"Leon."
A portrait of Saint Leon, commissioned before Basil I's death.
Konstantinos choked. "What is he doing here???" He shouted to the sky. "Has he not taken enough from me!?!?"

"My Lord, what shall I do?" Theophilos asked, flinching.

"...send him to me. Alone."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Konstantinos' study has been designed over five hundred years before to ensure that it remained cool throughout the day. Yet when Leon entered the room the heat became suffocating.

"You know why I am here." Leon said flatly.

"You are here to steal my birthright from me." Konstantinos returned.

"Am I now?" the younger brother let loose with a malicious grin. "Because according to my Chancellor, what happened was this; our father-"

"HE IS NOT YOUR FATHER!" The elder bellowed, standing out of his chair. "YOU, dear brother, are the bastard offspring of DECEASED Basileus Michael and that Norse whore!"

Leon took a moment to collect himself, tightening his hands into fists. "Brother, it has been a very long journey from Salerno to Rome. Let me say what I am here to say, and make you an offer."

Konstantinos said nothing.

Leon continued. "The morality of my mother has nothing to do with what you have done. When you got news of Father's injury, you immediately stepped in to take charge of his flank in the battle, and for that I commend you. But then you declared yourself regent in my stead, and claimed the title of Despot, thus putting you first in line for the throne. That, brother, is high treason, and when I ascend you will be lucky to have kept your head on your shoulders."

"You know what Gisele did to him, don't you? After his injury fighting in Armenia? She pissed on her wedding vows, and fathered at least one child with the Count of Lesbos! He kept quiet about it to protect my legitimacy, if Apollonia was a bastard I could be too. Yet he took care of us. He even granted you lands in Sicily, Leon, and you know how he hated you. I ask of you, what more could you possibly want?"
Basilissa Gisele, whose virtue is being called into question. Basileios has several entries in his journal describing her adultery, but it is possible they were falsified by Konstantinos. It is not known which, if any of her five children with the Basileus were bastards.

"The throne." Leon said flatly. "Bastard or not, I am both born in the purple and the better man for it. If you do not cede the title of Despot to me, I will have to attain the Purple by force. Think about your children, Konstantinos. Would you rather they remember you as a minor landholder and loyal servant to the Empire, or as a name to be reviled throughout Rome to the end of time?"

Konstantinos was silent for a long while, and then he wept. "...I am the only true son of Basileios. This...this isn't fair."

"Few things are." was Leon's only reply.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Konstantinos officially handed the title of Despot to Leon on the 27th of December. The war against the Papacy was won before the end of the year, and Basileios I of House Makedon died comatose in bed on the 21st of January, 892. Described as a bear of a man, Basileios' primary achievements in his lifetime were the reconquest of Sicily, Armenia, and Alexandria. His personal life was filled with tragedy, disfigured fighting in Armenia at the age of 37, and some records indicate that all three of his wives committed adultery during their marriages. This may explain some of his famous temper, best demonstrated by his atrocities during the sacking of Alexandria. Regardless, his legacy (both as a peasant that attained the Imperial Throne and the achievements of his descendants) ensure that his is a tale remembered a thousand years later.

Although known then as Leon the Just, the Emperor now known as Saint Leon was coronated the next day. The early parts of his reign shall be covered in Chapter II.




Saint Leon's coronation as depicted by an Italian artist. None who attended the event could have foreseen the monumental changes his rule would bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment